Water damage to your home is one of the more dangerous types of damage, mainly due to the threat of mold growth. Mold is extremely adept at hiding and can cause lung damage, allergies, and infections. When you have water damage to your home and need water damage repair, call EzDry Water Mitigation & Property Restoration in Oakland County. We are experts in water remediation, and we can help restore your home to its previous condition. Below, we’ll take a look at water damage, what it does to your home, and how we can help you fix it. Call us today to get started!
WHAT CAUSES WATER DAMAGE TO YOUR HOME OR BUSINESS?
Most people think of water damage to their home or business being when a flood occurred.
However, there are many more causes of minor water damage to your home. These causes include:
- Bursting pipes
- Clogged toilet
- Leaking appliances such as dishwasher or garbage disposal
- Leaking or broken water heater
- Sewer backup
- Sump pump fails and backs up
- And much more!
Not only does water damage ruin areas of your home, but it may also cause mold growth. If you have experienced water damage to your home or business in Oakland County, call EzDry Water Mitigation & Property Restoration today for a free inspection.
JUST HOW DANGEROUS IS MOLD?
Mold is a type of fungus that thrives in moisture-rich environments. They are decomposers by nature and are very colorful, coming in almost all colors of the rainbow. Mold reproduces by releasing spores into the air that then land and grow. It is these spores that are dangerous to humans because these are easily inhaled. Exposure to mold can cause irritation to your eyes, skin, nose, throat, and lungs.
Some people are allergic to mold spores. These people may experience skin rashes, runny noses, red eyes, and other allergy symptoms. Shortness of breath is commonly experienced, which can irritate those suffering from asthma.
Mold thrives on anything that is moist, including your carpet and floors when you experience any of the aforementioned water damage. Carpet especially harbors mold because it’s hard to tell if carpet is wet or not, especially if your carpet is in a little used area.
TIPS TO PREVENT MOLD GROWTH IN YOUR HOME OR BUSINESS
Believe it or not, you can never permanently get rid of mold, and mold in small amounts is not harmful. EzDry Water Mitigation & Property Restoration in Oakland County believes that the key is keeping moisture accumulation down in your home or business.
- Use dehumidifiers. Like the name implies, dehumidifiers take the humidity or the moisture out of the air.
- When it gets cold out, make sure your house is warm. When the temperature drops, moisture condenses, which then accumulates in places in your home, including in window sills and doorways. These are ripe areas for mold growth. If you add in insulation to these condensation-favorite spots (window sills, exterior walls, and floors), you’ll help to keep mold growth down as well.
- Dry out areas in your home that become wet within 48 hours, such as your bathroom after you take shower.
- Make sure there is no water draining into your home from outside.
- Make sure air is circulating in your home in order to keep areas dry. You can do this by having a whole-house fan on. The air conditioning in the summer and heating in the winter perform this function as well.
- Regularly check around fixtures, faucets, dishwashers, refrigerators, washers, and other appliances that use water for leaks. EzDry Water Mitigation & Property Restoration in Oakland County recommends that you fix these as soon as possible when found.
- Ensure crawl spaces are well ventilated. Crawl spaces are one area of your home that is often forgotten. EzDry Water Mitigation & Property Restoration in Oakland County recommends that you check crawl spaces regularly for unexplained leaks and pools of water accumulation.
- Consider removing all carpets in your home. Carpets are wonderful to walk on, but horrible for retaining dirt, grime, and harboring mold. Carpets are notoriously hard to keep clean, so EzDry Water Mitigation & Property Restoration in Oakland County recommends installing a hard surface flooring, such as hard wood floors, tile floors, or polished concrete to eliminate mold growth.
- Make sure your basement floors have no leaks. Since your basement flooring is right against the ground, it can be easy for water to seep in. EzDry Water Mitigation & Property Restoration in Oakland County recommends regularly inspecting your basement floor for leaks.
- Make sure gutters are draining water away from the home and not towards it.
- Invest in regular duct cleaning of both your air ducts and your dryer ducts. This will prevent the accumulation of any mold growth in these areas.
- Install vents in your bathrooms to rid your bathroom of moisture after showers.
- Open a window while showering.
- Check for leaks around bathroom fixtures. One often overlooked place for leaks is your toilet.
- Make sure to wash damp clothes and towels promptly.
WHAT TO DO WHEN YOU DISCOVER WATER DAMAGE
When you discover water damage in your home, you will often require the services of a water restoration company, such as EzDry Water Mitigation & Property Restoration in Oakland County. EzDry Water Mitigation & Property Restoration offers 24/7 emergency services, so we can help as soon as possible after your water damage event. Time is of the essence when it comes to water damage. You want to remove the water and the damaged areas as soon as possible before further damage can be done.
WHAT IS WATER RESTORATION?
Water restoration is much more than just drying out the inflicted area. Surface drying is just the first step in restoring your home or business’s area back to new. Carpet, furniture, and drywall can all hold moisture content fairly well, which results in not only foul smells, but also potential health risks, such as growth of mold, mildew, and bacteria.
In the event of a natural disaster or broken pipes, oftentimes your water damage will be covered by your insurance company. EzDry Water Mitigation & Property Restoration advises before you have water restoration services performed to call your insurance company and ensure payment will be made. Your insurance company will often require a written estimate for the damage done, which we are more than happy to provide. Once your insurance company is on board with your repairs, we can begin your water damage repair. Again, time is of the essence when dealing with water damage repair needs, so you don’t want to drag your feet on this one. Get prompt coverage from your insurance company so that the work can begin.
One the water restoration project has been approved, our team at EzDry Water Mitigation & Property Restoration in Oakland County will begin the work. First, we will dry out all standing water and then remove all content that is unsalvageable, which includes all of your belongings, carpets and flooring, paneling, shelving, and affected drywall.
Then what remains will be thoroughly cleaned, deodorized, dried out, and disinfected, ready for your construction team to come in and rebuild your water damage repair area.
Before and after the water damage repair process, photos will be taken by EzDry Water Mitigation & Property Restoration for insurance purposes.
How long does water damage repair take?
The time to complete water damage restoration will vary, depending on the extent of the water damage. Some spaces will take a few days; others a few weeks. Bear in mind that after we have removed all the damaged items, everything must be completely dried out. Humidifiers and dryers may be left by the best water damage cleanup companies, such as EzDry Water Mitigation & Property Restoration in Oakland County. Then we will perform testing to ensure your area is up to your standards of being safe and dry. We test temperature, humidity, and moisture content in the air to determine when the water damage cleanup job is done.
THE EZDRY DIFFERENCE
EzDry Water Mitigation & Property Restoration in Oakland County specializes in water damage repair. We care about the health of your family and employees when water damage has occurred. Call us anytime of the day and night for emergency water damage cleanup services!